CINARS is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to promote and support the export of the performing arts. Its main objectives are to:
- Encourage cultural creations emerging from the performing arts sector
- Promote commercial discussions between organizations specializing in production and those specializing in show presentation
- Make Montreal a worldwide hub of performance art networking
CINARS’s services are clustered around five different headings:
1) CINARS BIENNALE
Since 1984, CINARS organizes every two years in Montreal, one of the most important international performing arts conferences in the world, with nearly 1900 professionals hailing from 54 countries including 433 show presenters, some of whom are the most influential in the business. During one week, over 170 shows from Quebec, Canada and abroad grace the stages while workshops, networking events, as well as an exhibition hall are teeming with participants. After 18 editions, the CINARS Biennale has become a key worldwide event in performing arts touring.
2) INTERNATIONAL REPRESENTATIONAll year long, CINARS ensures a presence abroad thanks to:
- Joint attendance in international markets (Québec On Stage): every year, CINARS organizes, along with Quebec artistic companies and agents, several joint attendance in the most important international markets;
- The organization of showcases abroad: CINARS organizes showcases abroad within the context of international markets. Among the most significant operations, CINARS has coordinated a showcase in New York, called Ice Storm, in 2012, 2014 and 2016 as part of the APAP;
- Various missions and a presence in international networking events.
3) PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Every year, CINARS provides training seminars designed for artist representatives and agents, as well as targeted workshops to encourage the development of the skills involved in international touring. A coaching service is also provided all year long to address the specific needs of artistic companies.
4) THE DEVELOPMENT OF COOPERATIVE PROMOTIONAL TOOLS
In order to assist the promotion of Quebec and Canadian companies abroad, CINARS has put forth several cooperative promotional operations such as the creation of a promotional DVD.
CINARS also offers its expertise by undertaking studies of the performing arts sector, by creating long-term strategies for certain geographical territories, as well as by acting as an operator or a consultant for international networking events.